Be frugal, look fabulous!

Welcome to my blog!
This experiment is to see whether I can find looks directly out of the Peruvian Connection catalog (my absolute favorite) by shopping at thrift stores and garages sales. My goal is to put together an elegant, interesting, and flattering wardrobe--but by only spending about 10% or less of the new clothes' cost.


But why Peruvian Connection?
Because every outfit in the catalog uses my favorite things: belts, boots, bags, jewelry, and pieces that you can mix and match. I'll be able to emulate their style by putting together items that I find along the way. Also, their style is timeless and almost vintage-looking. How could I go wrong with a company with the tagline of 'Artisan clothing for nomads and romantics'? I'm both at heart!

Why buy second-hand?
Buying second-hand clothing is sustainable and economical. My money goes to charity or directly to individuals, my purchases do not require the use of additional resources, and at this stage in my life I cannot afford to buy such quality clothes at retail prices. However, someday when I can afford to buy new clothes, I wish to be mindful of where my money is going. Higher end retailers such as Peruvian Connection may be more expensive, but their artisans earn a living wage and the materials are environmentally friendly. I want to get in the habit of buying responsibly.

The rules for this experiment:
I'm looking for quality garments made of materials that Peruvian Connection commonly uses: cotton (pima if possible), alpaca, merino wool, leather, and other furs such as angora, mohair, and cashmere. I aim to avoid acrylics and other man-made materials because they wear out quickly. The end result of this blog will be a wardrobe that will last for years and never go out of style.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Find #12: Leather courier bag

I have been pining after Peruvian Connection's leather courier bag. Here is a photo:


Leather bags are usually out of my price range, so I was thrilled to find this beauty:

My find is from Canadian brand M0851. It is made of buttery black leather, and looks almost brand new. The price was just $4.99 at Goodwill--much, much lower than the $399 price tag for the Peruvian Connection version. True, my find does not have the stitching around the flap, but otherwise they are nearly identical. Savings: 98.5%.

No comments:

Post a Comment